Friday, December 28, 2007

First Week in New Zealand

I arrived in New Zealand on Dec. 24, 2007 and it has been going so well. Had a wonderful Christmas at my cousin's boyfriends house, started to learn how to drive a stick shift, and went for an amazing hike today.

Christmas was very lovely ... the family that invited me in for dinner was so welcoming and hospitable it was absolutely wonderful. There was turkey, stuffing, good conversation, and all the trimmings. Of course it wasn't as great as being home with my own family but being around the world they made me feel right at home and it made things a lot easier. I had a really nice Christmas and I'm glad that I had the opportunity to spend it with such nice and warm people.

I have also been out once to learn how to drive a stick shift. Since I have decided to extend my stay in New Zealand my cousin has allowed me to go on her car insurance, however, I have only driven a stick shift twice when I was about 16 years old so I'm a little out of practice. Anyway my cousins boyfriend took me out the other day to learn how and let say about the 12 time that I staled the car I broke it ... well I didn't actually break it ... something let lose. However, we did have to get it started again by rolling the car down the hill and then jump starting it but that only lasted 10 min and then it completely died so we had to call my cousin to come give us a boost and then we got home where Gavin (my cousins boyfriend) changed the battery and cleaned it up and then it worked again. Wish I'm so happy because well I didn't want to have to pay for breaking the car on my first try out. haha.

Finally, today we went on a hike around Waitakere Ranges Regional Park which was such a nice time. We left around 930 am and started hiking around 1030 am and ended around 3 pm or so but it was great. We went through some woods to start, then some flat land with the beach in view, then through some more woods, then we fallowed the river up and then through some more woods and back to the car. It was a really nice hike and very interesting but lets just say I'm going to be sleeping well tonight. It was so nice to get out of the city, get some fresh air and a tan. Also, it was really great to get out and see some of the country ... I can't wait to get in some more traveling however first I need to secure a job and then I can have some fun.

Alright I'll write again when I have more to say about New Zealand but so far so good. I am relaxed and I'm starting to enjoy life again. I'm getting back my energy and enthusiasm which had been gone for a very very long time.

Cheers from Auckland

No comments: