Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Manila, Philippines to Auckland, New Zealand

So I have arrived safe and sound in New Zealand, however, it was not easy task. I left for the airport around 9:30 on December 23 which was about 4 hours before my flight which was really early but good thing I did.

The first thing that went wrong is that we got completely ripped of by the cab driver who made us pay 375 pesos for a 120 peso drive. I hate cab drivers in the Philippines but I just let it slide this time because I just wanted to get on the plan to New Zealand so I just paid the stupid fee.

Next, I get to the check in counter and the lady tells me that I was over weight with my baggage and I wouldn't be able to take it. I was like that can't be right I check on the website two weeks ago for how much I could bring. Then I asked how much would it be to take the extra baggage and you should know that I was 20 Kg over weight which would have cost approximately $500 USD which of course I didn't have however I had been saving money for the past 4-5 months so I did have extra cash on me. Well I'm standing in the middle of the check in counter with all my baggage trying to decide what to do. I had to get my baggage under $300 USD cause that is all I had on me. Also, to make it worse I'm sick (I felt like shit), I'm tires and hungover cause we had been partying all week, and there is a woman with a baby behind me that is crying like no tomorrow which I turned around a couple of times to look at cause well I really thought the baby was dying from its screaming and then the woman with the baby start screaming at me ... "what are you looking at, haven't you ever seen a baby cry, I can't make it stop, what is your problem" ... that is what came out of her month ... I couldn't believe it ... and yes she can make it stop feed it or pay some attention to it. Anyway I just turned away cause I could deal with that cause I just wanted to get on my plan and get out of the Philippines. Well the only thing I could do it rip opened my suitcases and start throwing stuff out so that is exactly what I did about 10 Kg. I just throw it to the side of the check in counter and by this time I'm on the phone with my parents and I'm in tears because I just can't deal with everything. So my parents finally get me calmed down a little bit but the people that are working for Singapore Airlines are speaking in Tagalog and I don't understand what they are saying and I'm trying to find out how much it is going to cost. Finally, I get it down to $266 USD to send my baggage which I can afford and then I'm like just get me on the plan. Then someone new comes over and is like you can't bring to carry on bags on the plan and I'm like on is a carry on bag and the other is my laptop. He looks at me like I'm crazy and then says Ma'am next time don't take so much baggage. I was like excuse me one thing I'm moving and second I checked on your website to find out and I followed the limits. Then he is like well do you have any family you can call ... excuse me again I'm a white Canadian girl in the Philippines do you think I'm going to have any family here. Like WTF and why can't I be traveling by myself. I don't need my family at my side 24/7 like in the Philippines. Anyway I pay the $266 USD which wasn't easy either because they had no change for the $300 I had and the girl asked to get a new bill for the $100 I had. I was like why do you need a new $100 bill I just got that today when I exchanged my money, anyway I didn't care I just went and got a newer $100 to make them happy but of course that is not what they wanted either they wanted change for the $100 but that is not what they said so I get the change for it and pay the amount. They start to check in my baggage and then they tell me that they won't be able to take care of my stuff and by this point I do not care what happens to my stuff cause I can't take it with me. I turn to them and I'm like well do you have a garbage can and they don't know what to say like it was against all there morals to throw it out so I repeat do you have a garbage bag or a garbage can around ... they continue to look at me like I'm crazy .... so again do you have a garbage can anywhere in this airport .... they are still starring. Then I just loss it I'm like listen I don't care what happens to my stuff throw it away, give it to charity, take it home to your own families (which they probably did) I don't care one way or another. Finally one guy is like I have a box we will put it in that, I was like fine I don't care. Then I finally get my boarding pass and I proceed to the gate. It is all over I think to myself and it pretty much is. I fall asleep right away when I get on the plan and the then the stewardess wakes me up and ask if I'm ok and if there is anything wrong cause I don't want to eat or drink but then I sleep right until when touch down in Singapore. Everything goes great in Singapore I get a coffee and a sandwich and I find my gate easily. Give my parents a quick call to tell them that I am fine cause they were worrying especially after I called them from Manila airport. I get on my flight to New Zealand and sleep the entire way.

I land in New Zealand on Dec. 24 around 11 am and I get through immigration easily and was granted my 12 months Holiday Working Visa. I did have a few questions asked during customs because of the amount of baggage I had but by this point I told them that they are welcome to search all my baggage and I didn't care. Anyway they just let me go by and nothing happens. I go through arrivals and I see my cousin Jackie and I don't think I have been so happy or revealed in my entire life. It was like everything that was on my shoulders was lifted off. It was the greatest feeling ever. I was still tired and sick but something had changed.

Anyway I have been in New Zealand the past 3 days and I have been having a relaxing time which is exactly what I needed. Christmas was busy with family dinner and stuff but it was great to feel welcomed and be invited into someone else's home for the holidays. Every morning I have been getting up for a run on the beach which is so beautiful, it really beats running around Kingswood in a smog of pollution every morning. I have really enjoyed the past 3 days being in a clean environment, relaxing with a glass of wine, and getting some necessary sleep.

Well I'm happy to be in New Zealand and it has been a great experience in the Philippines but I'm happy and excited to start my new life here in New Zealand and I will definitely be keeping you all up to date on my activities. I have started to look for a job but since it is the holidays it is pretty quite around and not a lot of people are working but thats fine I'm not worried about landing a job. Also, I have a place to stay with my cousin which she has been taking really good care of me especially with the amount of wine I have been drinking.

Hope everyone had a Merry Merry Christmas :)

Amy

1 comment:

gosianaporowska said...

Hey Girl,

Hehe, seems like the cab driver was just an introduction to the end of your adventure in the Philippines.
I will for sure never ever use the service of BASIC for private needs.

Anyways, I'm glad to hear you're safe and sound in NZ.

Wish you best luck and look forward to your updates.

XOXO

Gosia