Monday, May 21, 2007

Sagada and Much More

Each and everyday I fall more in love with this country. There is so much to do and see and what makes it even better is that it is cheap to do everything. Last weekend my roomies and I went to Sagada which is about 12 hours from Manila. The trip was awesome, we left friday night after work and took the bus to Banaue which is about 8 hours but I slept most of the trip so that was good. Arrived in Banaue around 7 am on Saturday, checked into the inn which was actually good quality for the Philippines and for the price we got it for. Then we rented a Jeepney and drove to the rice terraces on top of the Jeepney which are on the side of mountains. We rented a guide and started are long hike across the rice terraces. We walked an hour to the top of one mountain, then another hour to a small village in the middle of the rice terraces, and then another hour to the waterfall which was the most beautiful creation I have ever seen and swimming in the fresh water was such a great experience. But then we stopped swimming and we started back to the beginning so an hour to the village, another hour to the top, and then another hour to the Jeepney. Now sure easy no problem ... ya right so hard. In all we walk probably 7 hours give or take sometime but it was like straight walking. We walked down the mountain, up another, then down that one and across a valley. It had to be the most painfull and physical workout I have ever done, three hour swim practice with a run after would have been a piece of cake. Not that I am complaning cause I have never seen anything like it. It was so beautiful. So we got up around 6am on Sunday morning and we got another Jeepney to Sagada and then we spent the afternoon on another hike to another waterfall but this hike was only 1 hour each way. Then on Monday we got up at 5am and went caving. Not like lets walk into the cave and look around, we started at one cave and travelled through the cave to another cave. It took about 4 hours and it was crazy. We climbed through small rock holes, walked through neck high water, and saw lots of bats. So then after that we got a Jeepney to Bontoc and then got the bus from Bontoc to Manila which was about 12-13 hour bus ride however are bus got a flat on the way home and it took about 15 hours. It was the longest bus ride ever, I did sleep through most of it which again was great. Got back home around 5am and then another week of work.

Work is going great. I have so much responsibility it is amazing but I have to say I'm a little over my head but my manager and employees are great and I'm learning a lot. I would never get this experience or responsibility if I had stayed in Canada. Work goes fast, its so busy I don't even notice the hours go buy which is great cause we work from 9am-6pm and I"m usually in early or leave late but how many people can say they love their job.

This past weekend I just stayed in Manila. Saturday did some touring around to the city with AIESEC people and then celebrated a roomies birthday with a good old fashion house party. Sunday was shopping time, started around 230pm and did stop till around 8pm. I love shopping and when you have like 1000 stores to go to and the things are so cheap, shopping is the greatest thing ever. I bought 5 pairs of shoes yesterday and the average price was $10 CAD. Five pairs of shoes for $50 can't go wrong with those prices.

Well that is what I have been up to the last week and a half. Been keeping myself really busy, even with everything to do I still get a little lonely but that is expected. This weekend coming up roomies and I are planning another trip this weekend so I'll write more next week and I'll put pics up on Facebook. Hope everyone is well at home and please write stuff on my Facebook wall so that I still know whats going on at home.

Cheers

No comments: