Wednesday, May 9, 2007

In the Philippines

So I have been in the Philippines for about four days now and let me just say "culture shock".

I'll first start off with the flight which I must say went pretty smoothly except for a few bumbs along the road. Leaving Hali was a hard thing to do especially when you don't know if and when you will be back. Had a good flight to New York but I had about 8 hours before my next flight so got some supper and watch some movies on my computer which I'm so glad I brought. So its about an hour or so before my flight and I'm sitting there watch a show and then a mouse runs across the floor in the JFK airport, I was like wtf so anyways I don't like mice so I get my computer and my carry on's and I move to the other side of the sitting area and about 5 minutes later there is another mouse running around and these mice were not scared of humans like they were running under my feet and around people legs and can I mention again in the JFK airport. So I moved again and finally are flight was called and we got on and left the mice in New York, hopefully. My flight left out of New York at 11:30 pm which was great cause I got on the plan and pretty much slept the entire flight except for when the babies next to me cried which was pretty much every two hours or so. We had a quick stop over in Alaska which I thought was pretty cool since I have never been then but within an hour we were back on are way to Taiwan. Things went pretty smoothly from there except when the guy next to me try to get me to come to Vietnam and visit him which was very nice of him but there is no way I was going. So finally after about 24 hours or so I had finally arrived in Manila.

AIESEC people and the company was there to pick me up which was really nice and we went to my apartment. We get to the apartment and everyone is being so nice and we are getting along great and I'm learning lots but then we get to the apartment and man what a mess beer bottles, food, dirt, bugs, you name it and ya it was in the apartment. Anyways not much I can do so I drop my stuff and we go to eat which I can't seem to do cause of the heat and jetleg which has lasted about three days. I am finally starting to eat meals. After lunch cause I arrived in Manila at 10am AIESEC people took me to the Mall of ASIA which I now understand why Farah was not impressed with the West Edmonton Mall. WOW it was awesome stores, stores and more stores. We didn't shop too much cause I was tired and jetlegged but it was amazing. Finally, went back to the apartment and to my suprise a maid, yes a maid was cleaning the apartment she was there probably 6 hours but the apartment was so clean after which was great. haha a maid.

So that was Saturday, Sunday was a pretty slow day tried to get some sleep and went to Greenbelts which is a high end shopping mall. Again I understand why Farah was not impressed with WEM. GUCCI, LV, HUGO BOSS, LECOSTE, JLO, and so many other high end stores that I have never seen in Canada. My favorite was GUCCI and I so have my eye on a purse, I definitly have to get it before I leave. Also, found a starbucks which was nice to have a caffe late.

Monday was my first day of work and again was I ever surprised. My roomates and I and the other interns, six including me get two cabs and head to the office. It's about 30 min drive with traffic and it only cost about $5 CAD maybe. So the interns consist on two french guys, one chezc, one poland, and one netherlands and me the Canadian and the only girl but I don't mind representing. Plus they are all really nice. Work is great, it is exactly what I want to be doing and it is along the lines of what I studied. Also, the people I work for are so understanding and so open to any ideas and the company is so multicultural, its great. After work we headed to Gerry's a restaurant and had a welcome dinner for me which was so great AIESEC people were there and work people so it was great to meet everyone.

Tuesday and Wednesday have been pretty much getting sleep and going to work but this weekend I'm heading up north with the guys to a mountain which looks beautiful from the pictures I've seen.

So far things are going good, been a little sad being so far away from home and I miss everyone but I feel I'm adjusting well. I still need to get use to the traffic and the heat (which doesn't bother me that much) and I think I will have a great time here.

That is all for now from Manila. I've added some photos to facebook if anyone is interested. Also, if people want to send me emails about whats going on at home they would be great appreciated. Its great to get mail from family and friends all the way over here. So I'll write another blog next week after the weekend and I'll add some more photos. Hope everything is great in Canada and for all of you that went to NLDC hope you guys had a blast, I want stories and photos.

Cheers from Manila

1 comment:

Jessica MacKenzie said...

Yo Amy, Great to hear that you are taking it all in stride. You rock! I can't speak for others but I'm certainly craving for more stories.

Congrats to you for making this dream happen! I'm totally jealous :)

Sending much love, big hugs and tonnes of encouragement!
Jessica