Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Rainy Manila

Update on my life in Manila ... It has been a long three weeks here in the Philippines. Were being hit hard with rain, rain, wind, and well more rain so it makes things pretty depressing. Haven't been out of the city since Korea but I have been catching up on some personal stuff that need to get down like student loan stuff (my heart goes out to all my friends that have to start paying them back soon ... sucks). Also, I have started to think about what I will be doing after the Philippines. Oct. 5th, this Friday, will be exactly 5 months that I have been in the Philippines so only another 7 months to go. In some ways that seems forever way but I know that it will come sooner than later. So for any of you that know me I'm really organized and like to get a head start on everything. Therefore, I have started to update my resume and looked into some universities. I have not decided yet whether I want to go back to school and get a masters but I feel pretty excited about the idea. I'll keep you up-to-date as time goes by and how the process is going. Some of you might be wondering if I will stay in the Philippines longer and right now I don't know. I really like the Philippines but this experience has shown me that the world is so big and I have so much to learn and I really want to see more of it. So we will see ... I'm so unsure of my future right now but I know some how it will just fall into place haha.

The past couple of weekends have consisted of shopping, getting my hair done, and volunteering. So I wish I could say that I wanted to get involved and give back to the community here which I really do but it is also I requirement for my internship but anyway. Not this past weekend but the weekend before I spent the morning with a room full of children during a read along session which was actually quite fun in a way. Then after story time I helped out during Hands On Manila - Breakfast Club where we bring and pass out food to them so that they will have something to eat. The children are really nice and enthusiastic about the program and it was really nice to just learn more about the Philippines and the people that live here. Then in the afternoon I went out to the University of the Philippines where I interviewed potential candidates for AIESEC UP. It was really fun I got to interview about 20 candidates and learn more about what they thought about AIESEC and what they thought about the Philippines. Some of them really didn't get how an outsider would see the Philippines. It was a really great experience to see how people from the country see the Philippines and how I (a foreigner) see it. Hopefully, in two weeks time I will be able to help out with Hands On Manila again and get to know the children a little better.

As for this weekend we are hoping to head out of a quick trip to hundred island national park but if the rain and the weather forecast not being so great and also the fact that the weekend after is a long weekend it might just be better for us to post pone it until the next weekend but who knows we might go this weekend. We will just have to wait and see.

Well thats all for now ... everyone take care and please fill me in on your lives through Facebook or email.

Cheers from the Philippines :)

2 comments:

Apey Rosie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A.R. said...

Amy,

what more can I say?? JEALOUS!!!! LOL it is such an awesome thing to have your experience. anyway sasha and sean are coming to visit you ..now, i'm even more jealous. haha life is different out there and that's for sure..but oh well its a great adventure eh!!

take care of yourself! we surely miss you!!!

PS: we have a dozen CD members this year (all active!)

hugz and more hugz
april
PS: sorry i made a mistake on my first post so I was the one that deleted that comment LOL